If you have received a letter from the IRS asking for form 8962, Form 1095-A (Letter 0012C) first, please check which tax year the letter references. If your notice does not specifically ask for a recalculated page 2 of your 1040, you may disregard that part of the directions. You will only need to provide what the IRS requests in their letter.
Because you purchased your health insurance through Healthcare.gov or a state marketplace, Form 8962, Premium Tax Credit (PTC) should have been included in your return. It’s used to calculate the amount of your Premium Tax Credit and reconcile any advance payments you received to help pay your health insurance premium.
We’ll help you complete this form with Turbo Tax and you do not have to submit an amendment, just print off and return the forms which the letter specified. If the letter is for tax year 2017, follow the directions below. If the letter is for tax year 2016 or 2015, please click on the link at the bottom.
1. Sign In to Turbo Tax
2. Click Tax Home, in the upper left. Scroll down to Your Returns and Documents
a. If you do not see options under that heading, look to the right and click on Show
3. Make sure the correct year is underlined in blue
4. Select Amend (change) return and then Amend Using Turbo Tax Online
5. Don’t click to Pick up where you left off into the Amend section, simply go to the left menu and
6. Click on the Federal and then the Health Insurance, at the top
7. Answer the questions about your health coverage
8. Select Yes, “Was anyone enrolled in any of these less common plans in 2017?” to enter your 1095-A form and generate an 8962 form.
9. On the That’s all we need on your 2017 coverage screen,
10. Click Done with Health
11. Select Tax Tools, on the left menu
12. Select Print Center
13. Print, save, or preview this year’s return and click in the box to select federal returns
14. Click on View or Print Forms to print the forms you need
15. You can view the forms from here and select just to print the pages with
16. Form 8962 and either Form 1040 or 1040A (if needed)
a. Or you can select forms filed with the government plus all worksheets
17. Then, in the upper left corner of the pdf window, click on the download arrow and simply print those specific pages from your downloaded pdf or select the printer icon to print directly from this pdf window.
Mail the following to the IRS address on your IRS letter (or fax number)
· Form 8962, Premium Tax Credit
· Copy of your Form 1095-A, Health Insurance Marketplace Statement
· A copy of the IRS letter that you received
· (If your letter asks for it) Form 1040 or 1040A – make sure to sign and date Page 2 of the Form 1040 or 1040A
For letters for the tax year 2016, please see instructions below.
For letters for the tax year 2015, please see instructions below.
You may also use the TurboTax Audit Support Center for additional help and information responding to the IRS notice.
Answered by TurboTaxTeresaM to this question