Dark underarms could be the reason why you do not wear that favourite sleeveless dress. Discolouration of skin pigment or the accumulation of dead cells can cause dark underarms. However, this can be treated using some effective dark armpits remedies. Here are some underarms whitening tips and home remedies for dark underarms that might be the solution you are looking for.
What Causes Dark Underarms?
Identifying the cause helps find the dark armpits remedy. If it is due to hormonal imbalance, then there are medications for it. Listed below are some common causes of dark underarms.
1. Increase in Serum Cortisol Level
Serum cortisol is a steroid compound found in the human body. It is a stress regulatory hormone. The increase in the level of serum cortisol could cause the darkening of underarms and neck areas among women. To check whether it is this increase that is responsible for the darkening of underarms, the serum cortisol test is available.
2. Use of Antiperspirants and Deodorants
The antiperspirants and deodorants have a significant amount of alcohol in them. Often this alcohol reacts with the skin and causes irritation in the underarms, burning the skin in the process. As a result, the skin appears discoloured and darkened.
Although shaving is a safe hygiene practice, it also might be one of the causes of dark underarms. During shaving, you remove the topmost protective layer of the skin. This exposes the skin to harsh substances, perspiration, dust, and other such foreign particles. These particles may easily cause burns and irritation on the skin.
4. Hormonal Imbalance
Women suffering from thyroid gland disorders or Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) are prone to dark armpits. Also, the use of birth control pills could cause darkened underarms.
5. Friction Due to Tight clothes
Wearing tight clothes that do not allow breathing space often results in irritation in that area. This leads to darkened underarms. To avoid this, wear loose cotton clothes. The synthetic clothes react harshly with the skin and hence cause the underarms to appear discoloured.
Home Remedies for Dark Underarms
There are several home remedies for dark underarms. Some of them are listed below.
1. Baking Soda
Baking soda is an incredible underarm whitening home remedy fast with results. Baking soda is a known exfoliator, i.e., it unclogs the skin pores. To use it,
- Mix four tbsp of baking soda with one tbsp of rose water.
- Using a cotton ball, apply this on your darkened underarms and wash it off after 5 minutes of application.
2. Tea Tree Oil
Although there is little to no research available, from observations, it is alright to apply this oil to treat dark spots on the skin. To use this,
- Mix the Tea Tree Oil with water and carrier oil in proportions 5:1:1 in a spray bottle.
- Apply this spray regularly on your underarms and wash with water.
Potatoes are a renowned bleaching agent. They act on the dark spots and lighten them. To use potato for dark underarms, follow the steps below:
- Squeeze out the juice from the potato slice.
- Apply it on the darkened underarm skin using a cotton ball.
- Wash it off with water after 10 minutes of application.
4. Apple cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is a well-known agent in removing darkness of any type. To use this,
- Take a bowl and add two tbsp of vinegar, two tbsp baking soda. You will observe some bubbling.
- After the bubbling lessens, apply the paste to the underarms.
- Rinse off after 20 minutes.
5. Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera has been long known for its medicinal and cleansing properties. Research suggests that aloe vera has a good effect on clean and glowing skin. It acts upon the dark spots and lightens them sufficiently. To use aloe vera for dark underarms, follow the steps below:
- After taking out the aloe vera gel, refrigerate it.
- Apply this gel on your armpit and hold for about 15 minutes before washing it off.
Turmeric has anti-bacterial properties, and it also heals skin and body. To use this,
- Take one tablespoon of honey, one tablespoon of turmeric, and one tablespoon of yoghurt.
- Apply this paste on darkened underarms for about 10 minutes.
- Wash it off with lukewarm water.
7. Multani Mitti
Multani mitti is known for its anti-bacterial and skin-enhancing properties. To use this,
- Take a bowl of water and add two tbsp of Multani mitti. Mix this with one tablespoon of lemon juice.
- Massage this paste on your underarms for 10 minutes and wash with a mild cleanser.
8. Lemon Juice
Lemon juice is known for its antibacterial and cleansing properties. To use this,
- Take some milk in a bowl and add lemon slices to this.
- Scrub your underarms and rinse after 10 minutes.
To use alum,
- Add two tbsp of alum powder and mix it well.
- Apply the paste on your underarms and hold for about 15 minutes.
- Wash it off with lukewarm water.
Yoghurt is known for its skin-improving properties. To use this,
- Mix two tbsp of yoghurt and one tablespoon of honey. Mix well.
- Apply and hold for 10 minutes. Wash it with cold water.
11. Orange Peels
Orange peels can remove dark patches in the skin. Applying it on darkened underarms could prove to be an underarm whitening home remedy. To use this,
- Take powdered orange peels in a bowl and mix with milk to form a paste.
- Apply this on the darkened armpits and wash with cold water.
Rosewater is known to haveanti-inflammatory properties for the skin. It also has a pleasing odour. To use this,
- Mix one tablespoon each of honey, rosewater, and turmeric.
- Massage this paste on your armpits and leave it off for 10 minutes.
- Rinse with lukewarm water.
13. Sunflower oil
To use sunflower oil,
- Take four tbsp of sunflower oil and two tbsp of almond oil.
- Massage this for 10 minutes over the armpits.
- Wash it off with lukewarm water.
Lifestyle Changes You Can do for Whitening Your Underarms
There are also a few lifestyle choices that may cause dark underarms. Let us see some underarm whitening tips which could help further.
1) Stop Smoking – As per research, smoking causes your skin tone to turn darker as the nicotine acts on the melanin pigment. Reducing and completely ceasing smoking could be helpful in dark underarms remedy.
2) Exfoliate – The underarm skin pores often get clogged with dust and foreign particles. This forms dead skin and causes darkening.
3) Wear loose-fitting clothes – Loose clothes help your skin breathe and give space for your skin to perspire.
4) Change your antiperspirant/ deodorant – Dark spots may occur due to the reaction of alcohol burning your skin; change your deodorant.
Medical Treatments for Armpit Lightening
The medical treatment is determined after analysing the dark underarms and understanding the cause, the medical treatment is determined. Based on that, the doctor might prescribe either of these treatments:
- Hydroquinone or Tretinoin containing lotions and ointments.
- Pigment removal through laser therapy.
- Skin exfoliation through chemical peeling. This is possible using alpha and beta hydroxy acids.
- For cleansing skin, the process of dermabrasion or microdermabrasion may be advised.
In case you have been diagnosed with a condition such as erythrasma, oral medications such as penicillin can be prescribed. Topical erythromycin and clindamycin are also some medication options for treatment.
In a Nutshell…Home Remedies for Dark Underarms
In a nutshell, there are several home remedies for dark armpits for you to try at home. These therapy options could work well for many; however, it does not guarantee a cure for dark underarms. For better guidance, visit your doctor to diagnose the root cause. It would help correctly treat the dark patches.
How Do You Make Your Armpits Glow?
Removal of the accumulated dead cells and treating the darkened areas with correct medications could help acquire lightly toned underarms. Baking soda, lemon juice, and potato juice are some ingredients that could be applied for this.
How Does Toothpaste Get Rid of Dark Underarms?
Since toothpaste is accompanied by bleaching agents, it can be used as an underarm whitening home remedy with fast results. However, make sure to use only the white toothpaste as coloured variants are accompanied by chemicals that may irritate.
Is Lemon Good for Underarms?
Lemon has exfoliating properties, and its acidic nature also acts as a good bleaching agent. So it could be used as a remedy for dark armpits.
Can I Leave Aloe Vera Gel on my Armpit Overnight?
No. Remove the Aloe Vera extract 5 to 10 minutes after application. Longer durations of application may cause skin irritation.
Why Do Underarms Get Dark After Waxing?
As per studies, sometimes, the friction during waxing and shaving could cause darkened armpits. The friction initiates an inflammatory reaction, which stimulates the pigment cells to generate higher amounts of the pigment melanin. Eventually, this causes darkened underarms.
- Myung‐hee Lee, Tae Gyu Nam, Inil Lee, Eun Ju Shin, Ah‐ram Han, Pomjoo Lee, October 2018; Skin anti‐inflammatory activity of rose petal extract (Rosa gallica) through reduction of MAPK signaling pathway – https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6261181/
- Marcin Delijewski, Dorota Wrześniok, Michał Otręba, Artur Beberok, Jakub Rok, and Ewa Buszman, June 2014; Nicotine impact on melanogenesis and antioxidant defense system in HEMn-DP melanocytes – https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4131136/