1. What causes frizzy hair?
2. Advice on taming your frizz.
3. Tips on best products to use.
You know who likes frizzy hair in men? Nobody. You don’t like it and the spicy senoritas definitely don’t like it.
OK, so your mom might be the one person who doesn’t mind your unruly frizz. But let’s be real: she would still find you handsome even if you had tentacles for arms.
The point is that it’s no longer acceptable to go walking around with frizzy hair. It was maybe acceptable in grade school because you probably couldn’t Google “frizzy hair men, what to do?”
But you’re a grown man now. You have the internet at your disposal. In other words, you have no more excuses to put up with pesky flyaways and frizz. Here’s how to tame the frizz and achieve the soft, smooth hair your grade school-self always wanted.
What Causes Frizzy Hair?
Honestly, a better question might be what doesn’t cause frizzy hair. Frizzy hair in men can occur for many reasons—most notably, because of humidity.
Ever wondered why humidity can wreck your perfect hair in minutes? We’ll briefly explain: Frizzy hair in men comes about when your hair cuticle becomes too dry.
When the cuticle is dehydrated, the outer layer lets in more air into the hair strand. Your dry hair will pull moisture from the humid air, causing it to swell, frizz up and resemble a bird’s nest on your head.
Other things can potentially contribute to frizzy hair in men, such as over-washing your hair, not using high-quality hair products and simply having a curly or super-coarse hair type. But lucky for you, there are plenty of sure-fire ways to tame the unruly beast that is frizzy hair, no matter what the underlying cause.
How to Tame Your Crazy Frizz
Ready to get a handle on your frizzy hair? Here are a few simple ways of getting rid of your crazy frizz and achieving smooth, healthy hair that women actually want to touch.
- Get Regular Trims. Dealing with tons of split ends? Unfortunately, those damaged ends of yours can lead to extremely frizzy hair. The fix is simple: see your barber for a regular trim, about every month or two, depending on how fast your hair grows.
- Shower with Cold Water. Speaking of damaged hair, you should probably nix the scorching hot showers. Besides doing a number on your skin, hot water can dry out your strands and increase your risk of frizz and breakage. Cold showers are optimal for hair and skin, but if you don’t feel like doing a Polar Bear Plunge every day, rinse hair with lukewarm water instead.
- Use a Heat Protectant Spray. There are way too many guys out there who have no idea what heat protectant spray is, and that’s a shame if you ask us. Using heat protectant spray is key to combating frizz and achieving healthy, run-your-fingers-through-it hair. It works by protecting hair from the heat of your blow-dryer and other heat-styling tools, reducing damage that can lead to frizz and even hair loss in men. Just spray an amazing heat protector on damp strands to protect those thick locks and you’ll be walking around with healthier, sexier hair.
- Weather-Proof Hair. Tired of Mother Nature ruining your hair? We know the frustration all too well. Here’s a tried-and-true method of weather-proofing hair: just use a high-quality styling gel to lock hair into place. With Pete & Pedro’s GELous Extreme Hold Styling Gel, you can get super-strong hold without the crunchiness or gross, gunky feel. Mark our words, it will change your hair game for the better, gentlemen.
- Befriend TREAT Argan Oil. Argan oil is loaded with protective antioxidants, fatty acids and vitamin E that can give dehydrated strands a much-needed boost. It’s particularly beneficial if you have curly, coarse or thick hair, but it works amazing for all hair types. Grab TREAT Argan Oil and/or pick up a sulfate-free argan oil shampoo and start hydrating your dry and brittle strands pronto.
- Massage Your Scalp. If you haven’t guessed by now, taming frizzy hair has a lot to do with hair health. One must-have product for healthy locks? A stimulating scalp massager that can help strengthen hair. We promise we’re not pulling your leg; research has indeed shown that scalp massagers can lead to thicker hair. Thicker, stronger hair reduces the likelihood of breakage and damage, which means less frizz and more bueno hair.
- Shampoo Less, Condition More. If your hair is constantly dry, you could be over-washing it. Play around with your shampoo frequency and use more conditioner to nourish thirsty strands. You’ll likely notice a huge reduction in your frizz.
Goodbye Frizz—Hello, Bueno Hair
For guys with unruly frizz, the path to bueno hair can be long and difficult. But don’t worry, smooth and sexy hair can be yours, gentlemen. Follow these tips and check out Pete & Pedro hair products to get your dehydrated strands back to a smoother, healthier state.