Forgetting your WiFi password is more common than you think. Many users tend to connect their smartphone and laptop to their home WiFi network and then forget the password, which is a problem when you need to connect a new device or share the password with visiting friends and family. In case you haven’t saved the WiFi password somewhere easily accessible, the good news is that there are several ways to find out what it is. There are different ways to know the WiFi password of any saved network or router on different platforms. In this article, we are going to take you through a step-by-step guide on how to check the WiFi password on Android, iOS, Windows Activate and macOS platforms. So, without further ado, let’s begin.
Also Read: PDF Password Unlock: How to Remove Password from PDF File Using Adobe Reader, Small PDF, Google Chrome
How to Find WiFi Password on Windows PC or Laptop
There are different ways to know a WiFi password on a Windows-powered laptop or desktop. You can easily know the password of the WiFi network or router that you are currently connected to. In order to do that, you can follow these steps:
- Open the Start Menu and search for Network Status. Alternatively, Right Click on the WiFi symbol at the bottom right corner of the screen and click on Open Network & Internet Settings.
- Now click on the Change Adapter Options. A new window will pop-up that will show you the Wi-Fi connection.
- Double Click on the Wi-Fi and then click on Wireless Properties.
Once you do that, you will see two options – Connection and Security. Go to Security and check the Show Characters box. With this, you will be able to see the password of the WiFi network or modem you are currently connected to.
Also Read: How to Take Screenshot on Windows, macOS Laptops, Android Mobile and Apple iPhone?
Interestingly, there is also a way to know the password of the other saved networks on your Windows-powered device. All you need to do is follow these steps:
- Open the Start Menu and type Command Prompt
- Run the following command: netsh wlan show profile
- You will see the list of all saved WiFi networks. Pick the network you want to know the password and then run the following command: netsh wlan show profile **** key=clear. (Replace *** with network name you found in the list).
- Once done, you will see the WiFi password of that particular network or modem under the Security Settings.
Also Read: Turn on LED Flashlight: How to Turn on LED Flashlight on Android and iOS Mobile Phones
How to Check WiFi Password on macOS Laptops
There is also a way to find the password of the WiFi networks on macOS. The operating system has an application known as Keychain Access. The app keeps a track of all the passwords you have stored on your macOS. Using the application, you can easily know the WiFi password of any WiFi network that was connected to your MacBook or Mac. Also, you can avtivate Windows 10 free – Read More. Here’s a step-by-step guide to check for WiFi password on macOS:
- Open the Keychain Access app on your Mac.
- You will find an option on the top toolbar called Passwords. Click on it.
- In the search bar, enter the name of the network for which you want to know the password. Once done, double click on the network name.
- A pop-up window will appear showing you the details of the network. Click on Show Password. The system will ask for your administrator user credentials.
- Once you enter your system password, you will be able to see the password of the WiFi network.
Also Read: How to Update Drivers in Windows 10 PC and Laptops?
How to Get WiFi Password on Android Mobile
Android offers a hidden way to know saved WiFi passwords easily. If you are running on Android 10 or later, you might be able to view the WiFi password of the saved networks on your smartphone. In order to that, you need to follow these steps:
- Go to the Settings app and head to WiFi & Network.
- Click on either the gear or lock icon next to your connected or saved network which you need the password for.
- Click on Share Password. You might need to use your fingerprint or pin to unlock this screen.
- You will now see a QR code on the screen, with the password written below it.
- You can choose to either share the password directly, or if it’s a complicated one, ask the person you want to share it with to scan the QR code using their phone.
Also Read: How to Scan WiFi QR Code on Android and iPhone
How to Know WiFi Password on iOS Mobiles
Finding the WiFi password on an iOS device is complicated. Apple is quite strict with privacy and security, which is why it is next to impossible to know the WiFi password of the saved networks on your iPhone. However, there is one workaround. But for that, you will need a macOS machine. The guide does not work on any Windows laptop or PC. So, if you have a macOS system and you want to know the check WiFi password on iOS, you need to follow these steps:
- On your iPhone, to go Settings and go to the iCloud option. There you will find the Keychain option. Toggle it on.
- Next, go back to Settings and turn on Personal Hotspot.
- Now, on your Mac, connect to your iPhone’s personal hotspot. Once the hotspot is connected to your Mac, you can open Spotlight search (CMD+Space) and type Keychain Access.
- Press enter and you can search for a WiFi network for which you want to know the password.
- There will be a pop-up window that will show you the details of the network. Click on Show Password. The system will ask for your administrator user credentials.
- Once done, you will be able to see the password of the WiFi network.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How can I see my Wi-Fi password without root?
Yes, there is a way through which you can find your Wi-Fi password on Android without rooting your device. However, it is important to note that the feature might only work on some Android smartphones. We can use the above-mentioned methods in the Android section to view the passwords of the Wi-Fi network.